To meet the growing demands for housing across the country, new home development projects are constantly underway. While some of these houses are built to be sold on the open market, many other newly built homes are custom-built for buyers who want to take an active role in the design and build process.
While custom home construction can be a great way to create a space that meets your list of demands, it's crucial that you with a proven home construction company with experience in building custom homes. Here's an overview of the benefits of custom home construction, along with important guidance on how to get a custom house built.
Why You Might Want to Customize Your Own House
Buyers choose a custom home construction for a number of different reasons—and often, more than one reason or benefit is behind the decision to build instead of buy an existing house. Those benefits of choose a custom build include:
- The flexibility to choose your home's floor plan. Many custom builds give buyers the option of choosing different floor plans, and even creating their own floor plan, based on their preferences and needs.
- You can choose where your home is located. With an existing home, you don't get a choice on location. Custom builds can be constructed wherever you're able to purchase a lot.
- You can outfit the home with smart technology. Smart home infrastructure is tougher and more expensive to install into an existing home. New constructions let you upgrade your home with the latest gadgets and features.
- The construction may be more energy efficient than other home options. Advances in home construction mean that today's new home constructions can be more eco-friendly than alternative properties. This will save you money on utilities for as long as you own the home.
- You get your choice of appliances and finishes. From your fridge to the flooring to the paint on the walls, every element in a custom home is picked by you. You won't have to deal with any repair work or renovations with you're actively involved in design of your house.
- You can control your budget. Many consumers who build a custom home believe the value they get is unsurpassed by other real estate options. This is because they're able to choose and pay for exactly what they want, rather than having to compromise on layout, fixtures, or finishes.
How to Custom-Build a House
When you're ready to custom-build a house, your most important step is finding a contractor that will design and build homes in your target area. To find the right contractor, you might first want to identify the general location, or even the exact lot, where you want to build a home.
Bear in mind that, in some new real estate developments, open lots may have restrictions on which companies are allowed to contract and build the home. Location may affect where you're able to build a home if you prefer a specific contractor over the alternatives in your area. For this reason, it may be helpful to identify the contractor you want to work with before setting your sights on a particular lot or location—especially because the plans for your home will affect what size of lot you will need.
How Can I Figure Out Who Builds Houses Near Me?
The process of how to find a custom home builder can be confusing for home buyers who haven't built a home before. But your choice of builder will likely affect the quality of your home, your design options, the location of your home, and your overall customer satisfaction with the design and build process, among other aspects of custom home construction.
To research your options for building a custom home in your community, you can start by finding out what builders are associated with any new developments where you may be interested in building a home. Keep an eye out for local open houses showcasing a new build from a local builder, and giving you a chance to walk through and evaluate the finished project with your own eyes.
If you have friends or family who have built custom homes in your area, ask them about their experience and whether they would recommend those builders. You can also search for options in your area by typing "custom builders near me" into a search engine. Read online reviews of the businesses that come up, and reach out to any builders that seem like they might be a good fit.
The NAHB also recommends contacting your local home builders association for a list of custom home builders in your area.
As you evaluate potential home-builders, come to meeting prepared with questions about their anticipated timeline for building a home, your customization options, and ask for testimonials and/or contact information for past customers who have built a custom home with that company.
The more thorough your research, the happier you'll ultimately be with a new home built exactly to your personal specifications.